Garbage pickup and recycling days in Benton are every Monday. (If a holiday falls on a Monday, pickups will be made on Tuesday.) Garbage and recycling carts should be at curbside by 6:00 A.M. Weekly garbage pickup is for normal household refuse. All households are provided with a 65-gallon trash cart. All material must fit in the carts provided. Materials placed outside the carts will not be collected. If you have a large quantity of garbage, please arrange for a separate pickup with a vendor of your choice at your cost. Larger 95-gallon carts are available for a one-time charge of $50.
Recycling is a simple thing that each of us can do to help prevent useful material resources from being wasted, to help reduce the consumption of raw materials, and to help reduce the use of energy and its byproducts. Benton has been a recycling community for many, many years. Each household is provided a 65-gallon recycling cart. The carts stay with the home when it changes ownership or rental. Additional carts are available for a charge.
Large-item pick up can now be done weekly (with the exception of appliances and tires, see below) with a charge of $25 per item. If you have a large item, you need to stop by the Village Office the Friday prior to large-item pick up, pay $25/item and be put on the list.
For appliances and tires, they will be picked up on the first and third collection day of each month. It is $25 per appliance or $25 for up to 4 tires. Please call or visit the Village Office for more information.
Print the 2021 Republic Services brochure.
What May Be Recycled?
Newspaper - Chipboard - Office paper - Phone books - Magazines
Cardboard - Boxboard - Cereal boxes - Shoe boxes - Soda & beer carrying boxes
Plastic bottles & containers coded #1-#7 - HDPE plastics
Aluminum - Aluminum cans - Tin cans - Steel cans
Items NOT Recyclable
- Candy wrappers and chip bags
- CDs and CD cases
- Cigarette butts
- Disposable diapers
- Empty motor oil and antifreeze containers
- Glass containers and food jars
- Mirrors, window glass, ceramic dishes, incandescent and halogen bulbs, fluorescent tubes/bulbs
- Paint containers and aerosol containers that are not empty
- Pet waste
- Plastic-coated food-soiled paper
- Plastic bags
- Polystyrene foam
- Polystyrene foam packing peanuts and bubble wrap (reuse or take out of containers)
- Prescription vials
- Ribbons, foil, and wrapping paper
- Sharp or greasy metals
- Tissues and paper towels
- Vacuum cleaner bags
Bulk Waste Collection (Large-Item Pickup)
If you have a large-item pickup, please visit the Village Office to pay $25/item and placed on the pickup list. Please have this done by 4:30 PM on the Friday before pickup. If you have questions on a specific item(s), please call the Village Office at 608-759-3721.
- Area rugs and carpet (cut into 4ft wide rolled sections weighing less than 40 pounds)
- Baby beds (cribs) and playpens
- Baby swings
- Bicycles and tricycles
- Car seats
- Coffee/end tables and kitchen tables
- Construction debris (no longer than 4ft in length weighing less than 40 pounds)
- Couches and sleeper sofas
- Dresser, shelving, cabinets, etc.
- Lawn chairs
- Lawn tools
- Mattresses/box springs and bed frames
- Outdoor toys
- Picture frames
- Sectionals (one full)
- Vacuum cleaners
- Walking mowers (fuel must be drained)